Sunday, April 15, 2012

Roman Chamomile...

Chamomile
I started an herbal infusion this morning with this lovely little flower Chamomile. I use this herbal infusion in my Chamomile Soap and also use it in my salve that I make. How I make this infusion is in my crock pot. I put down a thick layer of the dried organic Chamomile flowers and cover it with enough olive oil so that the oil just covers the flowers. I set the crock pot on warm and leave it for about two hours and turn it off. I just let the mixture sit for a week so it deepens in strength. I use several layers of cheesecloth sitting in a large measuring cup to filter out the flowers and squeeze out the wonderful oil. The infused oil has that appley scent so characteristic of Roman Chamomile. I purchase the dried organic flowers from Mountain Rose Herbs a great place for all things herbal including great teas in bulk.

This great herb has many wonderful qualities smelling wonderful- I love taking a deep sniff of the open bag of flowers- yes I know many people tell me I am abit strange at times - me and my 3 cats and small dog!  LOL  The flowers also make a great tea and with honey to sweeten the cup, very very relaxing moment to be enjoyed by all.

OK back to what Chamomile can do...
This wonderful herb is known to be a soothing herb that can help relieve anxiety and insomnia ( why I have a spray with Lavender and Chamomile). Chamomile can also help relieve digestive disorders and menstrual cramps which I read on Benefits of Chamomile . Chamomile is anti-inflammatory and can soothe inside and outside the body meaning rashes , etc. It is also anti-spasmodic by being a muscle and nerve relaxer.

What a great herb for relaxing the spirit and encouraging stillness and calmness into your life. What a great tea to accompany a relaxing bath!

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for taking the time to comment and share!