Sunday, July 1, 2012

Beer is more than for drinking!

Yes that is beer in the pan in preparation to making a batch of shampoo bar soaps ! I selected a bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale from the local grocery store as the bottle appealed to me. From what I have read, I first needed to flatten the beer to get rid of the bubbles as lye and carbonation do not play well together. I added a tablespoon of salt which seemed to help get that process going. After I left it sit out I then boiled out the alcohol so that those sugars would not cause the soap to setup so fast. I decided to go back to an old mold idea for round bars. I have not made these in years and thought they would be a more handy way to use the soaps in the shower! So I went to Home Depot and had a nice gentleman cut in half 2 - 24" lengths of 3" diam. PVC pipe for my molds.

I used duct tape to attach plastic to the end of each length and my molds were made. I could not take more pictures of making the soap as it setup up very very fast. I ended up glopping ( a very technical soapmaking term) it into each of the three molds and pounding the mold on the counter to make sure the soap made its way down to the bottom. One tube  I think I pounded abit too hard as a hole developed in the plastic!  :o(  But I got all them babies filled mostly and put to bed- meaning I wrapped an old towel around them to insulate the batch. Tomorrow I get to uncover the soaps and see how they fared- the scent blend is Rosemary-Lavender-Lemongrass-Patchouli and smells wonderful. The next challenge will be getting the soaps pushed out of the molds and yes I have a plan for that.



I have wanted to try a beer soap as I had heard many good things about using the beer. What I have learned is that since beer is mainly hops, many of this herb's properties and benefits add some good skin cleansing qualities that are also good for your scalp.  Also the old wives tale about washing your hair is beer also pushed me to want to try this. I have been washing my hair with only my shampoo bars for the past 10 years and you will not find a softer head of hair if I do say so myself.
If you are interested in trying a sample of this beer shampoo bar I will be needing some testers and all it would cost would be your time and comments. Always looking for people to try something new. This batch would be ready in about 3 weeks.
SO let me know and and leave a comment below and please share! 


6 comments:

  1. I've heard of beer soaps before, but never really knew what the deal was. I might be interested in testing out a shampoo bar - the last one I tried I wasn't too fond of. Then again, I might have been using it wrong, too.
    Send me a message if you still need/want testers - sunfire@breathofthedragon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the comment and I will let you know when the batch is ready for testing!

      Delete
  2. Ha! Are they extra sudsy? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely extra sudsy-put liquid shampoo to shame! :o)

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting...I'm willing to be a guinea pig if you need me!
    Ei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Send me your email address to mschendel@ritualwaters.com and I will contact you when batch is ready to test-it takes 3 weeks for the new soap to cure. It smells great!
      Thanks Marilyn

      Delete

thanks for taking the time to comment and share!