Thursday, July 5, 2012

Post July 4th Story

OK I admit not the picture you were thinking of when you saw the headline but I had to share. This wonderful little dog is all mine and her name is Tinkerbell. Last night when I opened the door for her last time to go out which she loves to do as I have a fenced in backyard she was ready to come right back in. I could not figure it out. I was going to make her go back outside but she flipped herself on her back to plead with me not to go back out. Then I heard the boom boom of the fireworks and then got it. To her it sounded like thunder and she was not going out in with that rumbling going on. FYI if any of you own pets they do advise to keep them in doors if they are scared of loud noises. I was not thinking about the fire works up until that point.

But that whole scenario got me thinking about July 4th which I had not done all day- too many chores I needed to get done on my to do list. So me and Tinkerbell spent some quiet time on the couch and I was remembering past July 4th's. I had always tried to catch the rerun of Yankee Doodle Dandy with James Cagney if it was playing. And there was the barbeque or cookout depending on where you live. And of course the local fireworks display. Great day to relax. But thinking back to what our country went through in 1776 to gain our independence and all the wars and fighting since to stay independent, it gives one allot to think about. We are very lucky to live in such a free country and I hope we all keep this dream alive and appreciate what we have. There are many in this world who are not so lucky.

I hope you all had a great Independence Day and celebrate what a great country we live in!

What July 4th traditions did you grow up with?

OK one more, this was in the 80's when I visited my brother in his family in Staten Island, was driving home with my Mom and my kids on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway and  was passing NYC. It was so awesome as the fireworks were going off between the buildings that I guess people were shooting off- I was such a really wonderful beautiful site. Such a celebration!

1 comment:

  1. I have pictures from those fourths and think they are my favorite memories growing up.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment and share!