Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Creative Path

This week has been a quiet one which for me has been a long time. My daughter and granddaughter are away and I am spending some needed time with myself. I decided I needed to jump start my creativity and have started to re-read the book The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. In case you have not heard it is a twelve week program to recover your creativity. I need to get back on the path to my
artistic self. The picture above is the path I want to walk down again as I have been running down the work-stress- drama one and need to break free and go in a different direction. 

One tool she recommends is a weekly artist date. This is for your inner artist child and this is something I think I have been needing for awhile. I am so excited about this! I already have the next 4 weeks planned and I feel like a kid in a candy store giving myself permission to taste and try the things on the glass shelves!

I am going to go to the Farmer's Market this weekend which I have been making excuses that I have this or that to do that is way more important and anyway I can get veggies from the local grocery store. Have you ever told yourself these things and missed out on doing something fun and playful for yourself? I know I have been for awhile. And I am also going on a button hunt- I want to make my granddaughter a purse but need a pink button to complete it so I will visit some fabric and quilt stores to find a match!

I want to follow this in the following weeks with a trip to the mountains, some quilt stores that are a distance away and who knows what else ?

What secret adventures has your artist child wanted to get into and check out? What is your favorite candy from the candy store?

15 comments:

  1. Hi Marilyn,

    I loved The Artist's Way! How fun to have a week to just play. I think that book is partly popular because it gives us "permission" to do that. Have fun and see you on the Ultimate Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please also plan an artist date for yourself! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love this post and you have added a book to my list, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Marilyn. I can almost feel your enthusiasm. I loved 'The Artist's Way', too, which I read first around 6 years ago. I credit that book with my own creative awakening, since that was the one that really got me asking the right questions. Looking forward to seeing what else comes up for you over the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn,

    After reading your post I want to buy The Artist's Way. The weekly artist date sounds awesome!

    Thanks,
    Lena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very excited about it- we all need to play. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I forgot about this book!! Thanks for the reminder, I will have to dig up my copy and renew my morning pages and artist dates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an awesome book. My favorite candy from a candy store is old fashioned caramels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, I need to check out that book...AND to get back into creating art. I graduated from art school (BFA in Art History) many, many years ago and have sketchbooks full of my sketches of buildings here and in Europe (I have an obsession with architecture), but I've sort of fallen out of it. That's unacceptable.

    Oh, and my favourite candy is English toffee. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at that book a few years ago and wasn't quite ready.... thank you for the reminder and the inspiration - I think I'm almost there! I'm trying to carve time for more beauty in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another book to add to my list. I always need things to help kick start my creativity. It has been so hot in NYC that I have no energy to do anything.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment and share!